Strictly Come Dancing will fire longtime judge Bruno Tonioli in favor of keeping Anoton Du Beke for another year, sources suggest. Bruno, 66, has been on the show for 16 years but Covid restrictions meant the Italian was unable to travel to the UK for last year’s judging.
Fans were strictly convinced that he would return after Craig Revel Horwood signed him on for the live tour. But, BBC sources have now revealed to The sun that show bosses have decided to renew longtime dancer Anton’s contract as a judge.
READ MORE: EastEnders’ Rose-Ayling Ellis pictured in floating hot tub in London with Strictly Come Dancing co-stars
One said: “We were told that Anton’s contract as a judge is going to be renewed. The bosses were really happy with his performance. It has also not escaped them that his salary is considerably lower than Bruno’s.
“Bruno has been an integral part of Strictly for over a decade, and there’s a lot of affection for him from those on the show.
“This decision will ruffle some feathers, especially with Craig, who has been a very, very vocal defender of Bruno’s return. But the attitude of the bosses is, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.”
Last year, Bruno told The Sun on Sunday that he was “sad and frustrated” not to be on Strictly. Regarding Anton, 55, he said: “Good for him. He needs money.
Even then, he clearly knew he might not return to the show, as he added, “If they want me, I’ll be back. But they can say: ‘Anton was great, we don’t need you’.
But at the time he said he was “delighted” to be featured alongside the others on this year’s tour.
The Sun understands that Bruno was not informed of the BBC’s decision. The BBC and Anton declined to comment.
Do you have a story you think we should cover? If yes, send an e-mail [email protected]
Want stories like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our FREE newsletters here .